ROCKVILLE, Md., March 26, 2012 /PRNewswire/ – Hillcrest Labs today announced that its award-winning natural motion control technology, Freespace, is now available for manufacturers and component suppliers of smartphones and tablets. Hillcrest’s new Freespace MotionEngine for Mobile is an embedded software solution that manages and enhances the combined performance of motion sensors commonly found in smartphones and tablets – accelerometers, magnetometers, and gyroscopes – to enable today’s motion-based applications and provide the foundation for next-generation user experiences.
“The smartphone industry is at a key inflection point with motion control,” said Chad Lucien, senior vice president of sales and marketing for Hillcrest Labs. “Motion sensors are now standard in mobile devices, but today’s motion software implementations impose significant constraints that limit sensor choice, integration flexibility and performance. We aim to change that. Our Freespace MotionEngine for Mobile provides a unique software solution for Android™ and Windows® 8 smartphones and tablets, which delivers the highest performance and provides the most flexible integration options, while enabling manufacturers to use sensors from any major supplier in the market.”
Freespace MotionEngine for Mobile is a necessary foundation for a variety of mobile applications, such as:
- Context Awareness: The accurate sensor fusion provided by the MotionEngine software enables precise tracking of a phone’s motions and surroundings that can be applied to context awareness applications.
- Pedestrian Navigation: The MotionEngine software provides a key building block to support improved navigation applications to augment GPS for use in instances when GPS is not available or not accurate enough.
- Augmented Reality: The MotionEngine software can provide the foundation to create more advanced applications or improve the performance of existing augmented reality applications.
- Health and Fitness: The MotionEngine software can be used in mobile devices to monitor users’ physical activities. By calibrating and fusing sensor data, a more accurate picture of user activity can be created, without excessive battery use.
- Immersive Gaming: The MotionEngine software can support more immersive and precise motion gaming applications that make full use of the gyroscope and the complete sensor configuration.
- Gesture Control: Accurate sensor fusion coupled with the Freespace Gesture Recognition Engine allows users to perform motion gestures to accomplish simple tasks.
Additional information about Hillcrest’s broad portfolio of natural motion control products is available at www.hillcrestlabs.com.